Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Girl-About-Town: Ria Torres



Meet this months “Girl-About-Town" Ria Torres, from Brooklyn, New York. An endless creative pursuing her dreams in capturing the beauty of visual still life and creating aesthetically wearable art (aka jewelry).  Read on to learn more about her goals in life, her ideal present day style icon and her favorite eateries in New York. 


 Where do you live?
I was born and raised in California but I am currently now in Brooklyn, New York!

What do you do for work?
I am currently looking for an internship within the fashion industry and pursing my photography on the side. 

Describe your personal style?
I am all over the board style wise. I try to stick with basics but I do love girly elements and edgy pieces. I can’t quite define my style because I just wear what I like and pieces that are visually appealing to me. 


Best restaurants in your city for breakfast/lunch/dinner?
Breakfast - Stone Park (Seriously, biscuits and gravy are heavenly).
Lunch - Dumplings and Things (name says it all).
Dinner - Sottocasa Pizzeria (The BEST, BEST pizza I have ever had...and I have had my fair share of NYC pizzas. Nothing has beat this).

Favorite Brands/Designers?
Like every other twenty-something, I love Nasty Gal, Zara, Topshop - just to name a few. Although, I am not brand obsessed so I don’t limit myself to certain labels. 

Top 5 favorite Instagram accounts to follow?
1. @garypeppergirl 
2. @carascliche
3. @keikolynn
4. @thriftsandthreads
5. @jillkangas


Top spots to hangout in your city?
I don’t know even know how to narrow it down, I mean it is New York after all! I really love Prospect Park which is a few blocks by me, and anywhere there is good food. There are also tons of awesome bars like Wolf & Deer. 

Best place to shop in your city?
W. 34th Street. Literally everything in one store. 

Who/What is currently playing on your iPod?
Glass Animals, SOHN, Paris...basically everywhere.


What destinations are on your travel wish list?
Iceland, Greece, Ireland, Paris...basically everywhere.

Five things you can’t live without.
My forever boyfriend, my mom, my pup, cheese, salami, and my camera. That’s six. Can’t take out cheese or salami. Gotta have both. 


Who are your style icons of the past or present and why?
Nicole Warne of @garypeppergirl. I dream to be as chic and classy as her. I believe she is our modern day Hepburn.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
Anything that keeps my creative juices flowing. I am constantly trying to better myself as an artist and learning everything about everything. I’ve been writing music, painting, and pursing photography since I was 16. I am currently learning how to sew and making jewelry for my next venture. 

What do you do when you need a boost of inspiration?
I am inspired by others creativity, whether it’s music or drawings. There are other times when I get inspiration from my daydreams, which I tend to fall into quite a bit. 

Best life lesson learned so far?
Always be open to new ideas, and new concepts. Never shut down because something maybe be unknown.  Being able to do that while staying true to who you are and your character. That accompanies being satisfied in who you are and never comparing yourself to others. 

Want more of Ria? Follow her on Instagram at @riavianna and check out her website at 
www.creativeaperture.com

Photos: courtesy of Ria Torres

No comments:

Post a Comment